I guess it was inevitable that roses would find their way into my life again. None in my garden yet (I'm resisting), but I couldn't resist photographing these on a back road in the Hunter Valley, one of Australia's more famous wine-growing areas. Of course, anywhere that grapes will grow, roses will be happy too. I believe these are both forms of Rosa banksii, a rose which grows poorly in Vancouver but obviously loves the climate in this part of Australia. As far as I can see, they were not receiving any loving care in this location
"A planted place" is how American garden designer Louise Beebe Wilder (1878-1938) defined a garden. I think it is the best and most concise description I've come across.
Sunday, 23 September 2007
Roses
I guess it was inevitable that roses would find their way into my life again. None in my garden yet (I'm resisting), but I couldn't resist photographing these on a back road in the Hunter Valley, one of Australia's more famous wine-growing areas. Of course, anywhere that grapes will grow, roses will be happy too. I believe these are both forms of Rosa banksii, a rose which grows poorly in Vancouver but obviously loves the climate in this part of Australia. As far as I can see, they were not receiving any loving care in this location
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment